Wednesday 6 October 2010

Being a Geisha

Image by Kondo Atsushi

There is one side of this business which I have always found impossible - the schmoozing. It's just something I'm really bad at. Selling myself, selling my ideas, I'm always very uncomfortable having to do it. I can do the job, but not talk about it.

Unfortunately as a Director you can't audition and if you are trying to get funding for a project, you have to sell the idea. If you don't schmooze, you lose!

I went with Yoshi to a sponsors event at Canadian Opera Company before the orchestral rehearsal last night. COC do these things very well - a great dinner followed by an informal chat with Yoshi followed by watching the rehearsal. A good peek at the creative process for around 70 people all of whom give between $2500 and $50000 a year to the company.

As we were walking up to the function room Yoshi turned to me and said 'So, tonight I am Geisha.' He then proceeded to go around each and every table introducing himself and me and thanking the donors personally for helping us to bring this show to Toronto. He didn't try to be 'the artist', or try to be too deep. He simply set out to please. 

Everyone was, of course, charmed and delighted and immediately on our side. He was the perfect Geisha, and I'm sure everyone enjoyed the evening immensely and gained a unique insight into the production as a result.

It clicked with me. Performing allows one to put on a character and so gives you licence to  do the things you need to do on stage - to sell the show. Being oneself in order to sell an idea is really difficult unless you naturally have that bent. So from now on I shall become a Geisha in such situations - it's much easier to put yourself out there determining to please and fulfil those you are meeting. It's an image which is a real enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment