Monday 17 October 2011

New York, New York


To New York for the revival of Kommilitonen at the Juilliard School of Music.


I mentioned a few posts ago that my former passion for big cities has wained massively. Whereas I used to devour each new city voraciously and revisit known ones enthusiastically I have found my interest severely diminished. I have scarcely been bothered to explore recently and have endured rather than enjoyed my time in places which I once loved.

It was with some trepidation that I arrived in New York this time as I have adored this city since the first moment I stepped of the bus onto Madison Avenue and walked across to Central Park. Every street sign, every district, every building was familiar to me from TV and film and to discover how they fitted together was immensely exciting. What I discovered was a huge city of little villages. A crowded metropolis with lots of space. A manic city that never sleeps which was nonetheless relaxed. A city of contrasts.

I was afraid that this time I would find that the love affair was over.

New York, however, is a cleverer lover than I had given her credit for. She turned on the sunshine, polished all the windows and swept the sidewalks welcomed me into a ridiculously trendy and gorgeous hotel, and made me feel revived passion for an old love.

New York, New York - so good they named it twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment