Friday 24 June 2011

The Summer Job




Straight from the recording studio at the BBC's new Media City home in Manchester to Bregenz for what has become a semi-regular gig. The concert went well, despite my singer's paranoia, but I was glad to get my head and my car back on the road and head to the warm and lovely South.

Bregenz is a special place. At the far Western corner of Austria it nestles at the foot of the mountains by Lake Constance. Though it is only a small town, each year it hosts a large and important international opera festival set on the huge stage on the lake (see my post a couple of months ago) and inside the arresting modern Festspielhaus.

I'm staying a little way above the town on the slopes of the Pfaeder, the mountain which looms directly over the town, and have beautiful views down the considerable length of Lake Constance. My nearest neighbours are a small herd of cows whose bells, real bells, clang throughout the day and evening, their various tones giving an audible sense of the relative size of the animal. A lovely musical noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment